Vista WIFI Lag Spike Fix.

Ask here for general LOTD support, missing files.
User avatar United States of America
DeepImpact
Server Admin
Server Admin

Vista WIFI Lag Spike Fix.

Post by DeepImpact »

* Vista WIFI Lag Spike Fix. For WIFI Only. Maybe this may help someone else. It did me.

- I remember reading about this a long time ago. and now that I'm using wifi on vista.. sure nuff.. it was there. a wifi Lag Spike.

* Vista WIFI continues to search for other wifi even After you are already connected. Every 60 seconds. 1 minute. Causing Lag.
* So every 60 seconds.. I would see a nice big O Lag Spike when gaming. not cool vista. :-/

#1: First.. If your wifi adapter comes with it's own software to connect. Use that. and disable the WLAN AutoConfig service.
- Click Start.. Run... Type in: services.msc
- Double-click WLAN AutoConfig.. Click Stop.. Select Startup Type: Disabled. Apply.
Note: some wifi 3rd party software may still require wlan autoconfig service to be enabled to function.

* But I didn't want to use the crappy wifi connect software that came with my wifi adapter. :-/

#2: Download WLAN Optimizer. Done. All Fixed now. :-D
- Just unzip it.. and Run WLAN Optimizer. I didn't have to click anything else.
- My Wifi adapter was already set.. and the Background Scan was already set to Off.
A: Right-click on WLAN Optimizer.exe and select Send to Desktop for a shortcut to it.
... You'll need to run WLAN Optimizer after you connect to your wifi. It only uses like 456k of ram.
Now no more lag spike every 60 seconds.. Nice. I can tell too.. cause I'm whooping butt on games again. hehe...
Download WLAN Optimizer: http://www.martin-majowski.de/

* * * TEST for WIFI LAG Spike FOR VISTA.. (Maybe even Win7+) WIFI Lag Spike. Every 60 seconds.
1: Open command Prompt: Click Start. Run. Type in: cmd (Or Windows Key + R and type in: cmd)
2: Type in: ping -n 120 google.com
(This will ping google.com for 120 seconds. 2min. So you can see if you have any lag spikes.)

- Stupid microsoft.. 1 line of code could have fixed all that. " If wifi is already connected.. Do not Scan for more!"
... yeah.. their not as smart as one may think they are. afterall.. they did make vista.. hahahaha!

I'm using: Vista Home Premium. SP2. 32Bit... now with no wifi lag spikes. nice.

Note: If the ping test shows Packet loss.. then you may need to adjust your MTU. or wifi signal strength.
P.M. me if you need additional help.. it's no problem really. or instant message me...