Former

The latest Zombie/Horror reading material on the web.
User avatar Great Britain
cosmo
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Former

Post by cosmo »

New Novel Former Questions What It Means to Be Human

" If you like a side serving of social commentary along with your zombie apocalypse tales, then you’ll want to check out A.E. Stueve’s Former, an insightful look at zombie culture and what it means to be human, which just came out this weekend as an eBook from publisher The Novel Fox.

The zombie invasion is already upon us, at least in terms of popular culture. From “The Walking Dead” to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, it seems that societal interest in the zombie apocalypse is only growing. But why is everyone so interested in the grotesque undead?

Former explores a few familiar themes and introduces some new ones as well:

How sometimes it is hard to tell who is more monstrous—them or us.
How sometimes it’s even harder to tell the difference between zombies and humans.
Though the times are bleak, there is hope, which keeps the characters going and acts as a double-edged sword.
Racism, nationalism, Border closing, McCarthyism, and other unpleasantness run rampant throughout the novel.
“I’ve always been scared of zombies,” Stueve says on his reasons for writing Former. “Since I was a little kid, the idea that there could be these mindless monstrosities walking around wanting to eat us—monstrosities that look like our loved ones—that’s just always disturbed me to no end. The older I’ve gotten, the more I’ve come to realize it really isn’t their taste for human flesh that scares me—it’s the fact that they are basically a distorted mirror.”

Synopsis:
Unlike his wife, family, and friends, Billy Dodge is alive. Profine, an international pharmaceutical and defense conglomerate, has cured him of an infection that has ravaged Earth for over a decade. Life isn’t easy for the “formers,” however, and despite Profine’s help, Billy is struggling to cope in a less-than-welcoming world. When Billy and a friend are blamed for an unfortunate death, things only become more difficult, and Billy finds himself at the center of a global crisis.

As Billy wrestles with his inner demons and the strife around him, society struggles with an important question: Are formers really human, and should they be allowed to live? "

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/148039 ... -be-human/
Download