Emergence

If you have written a zombie or horror related story, share it with us !
User avatar Great Britain
cosmo
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Emergence

Post by cosmo »

Emergence

Captain Brady sat at his desk, he was pale and ashen, he picked up his pen and started writing again....

" I am writing this journal for future posterity, but i know no one will ever see it. I am the last one, theres no one else left. We thought we were so clever, we thought we had survived the apocalypse, it had certainly seemed biblical enough to be the apocalypse, the dead rose, empires fell, starvation, plagues, death, destruction, in short hell on earth!

But we... the lucky ones or so we thought, had survived it all

We had in fact survived the ravages of the undead by finding safety in this bunker. We sent out patrols to locate and retrieve other survivors, like the Robinson family, who had been caught in an outbreak and had taken refuge in an out of town mall along with a few others. They had done well, surviving in there for almost four months without any discernable leader or planning. They had accounted for maybe thousands of the undead by raiding the tool shop and mixing paint thinner with varnish to make a crude version of napalm which they hurled from the roof to incinerate the gathering horde below, every time the numbers started to rise outside, they went on another bombing raid.

There were Jack and Rob, the two truckers one of our squads had rescued from the roof of their truck in the first week after the main outbreak.

We sent out rescue squads for at least six months, after that the patrols reported no life signs around the area. Even then we still had contact with many other safe havens of one kind or another but as the time past the radio contacts disappeared one by one. We have had no contacts with any other survivors for the past two years now.

Our military force of sixty had swelled with civilians until there were two hundred and seventeen people in the bunker. We had survived the onslaught, survived the radiation from the nuclear power plants that had gone into meltdown, we had, survived......

There was more than enough food stored in the bunker as it had been active when the world went to hell, water wasnt a problem either, there was a full recycling system in operation, the air was scrubbed and cleaned, and there was a full medical bay, we thought we had it made.

We struggled so hard to keep going, life in a military bunker was not easy for the civilians with no freedom and having to live under what was essentially military rule for just over five years, but we endured because we believed we could out last the walking dead. Their bodies were still decaying so we only had to wait until they were no longer a threat, then we believed we could simply open the doors and wander out to begin rebuilding our world. We did after all have more than enough people in our group to make a good genetically safe breeding pool.

The naivety of it amazes me now, did we really think it would be as easy as that?

It was four years and five months after closing the doors for the final time that we decided enough time had past and we once again unlocked the huge doors and ventured out into the sunlight, sure, the undead had rotted away to nothing more than piles of bones, the landscape was empty, no humans left, only a few of the larger animals roamed around, most having starved to death, the cities had burnt and towns had been destroyed it was almost a clean slate to start again with.

Out we went and started to try to rebuild our lives and it was less than six weeks before the first child died from pneumonia. Then more children, flu, pneumonia, asthma, a variety of respiritory diseases, it had been doubly painful for the parents to lose their children and then know that a metal spike was driven into their skulls to stop them returning.

The elderly went next, again, almost all from what seemed minor chest problems.

One group of about forty people had left the main camp area in the hopes of getting as far away as possible in the belief that the area where they were was infected somehow but it didnt help them. When the last few people had been struck down leaving me the only one capable of walking, I went looking for them in the hopes they had found safety and could offer help. All I found were a few half eaten bodies. I didnt stay in the region long enough to search for the others;

So now I sit here writing this entry, it will be my last one, I can feel the infection growing inside me.

In our arrogance and haste to leave the confines of the bunker, we had not considered the situation properly. We had not considered over seven billion rotting corpses and the whole atmosphere was laden with viruses and bacteria. From the moment we had opened the bunker door and stepped outside we had been breathing ..........dead air "
Download
Greencaptain
Fresh Brains
Fresh Brains
Name: Bob

Re: Emergence

Post by Greencaptain »

land of the dead: emergency