User avatar Great Britain
cosmo
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Halo

Post by cosmo »

Microsoft Still Interested in Making Halo Movie

"
In an article talking about the popular "Halo" franchise, Variety published quotes from Franchise Development Director Frank O'Connor about whether we'll ever see a Halo movie. The trade says that Microsoft is still developing scripts by Alex Garland, Stuart Beattie, D.B. Weiss and Josh Olson as potential blueprints.

"We're still interested in making an excellent 'Halo' movie," O'Connor said. "We've created an awful lot of documentation and materials to support a feature film. We have a good idea of what kind of story we want to tell, but won't move on it until there's a great reason to do it. We're in no particular hurry."

The film would likely be a standalone story and not "a verbatim retelling of the game," O'Connor added.

Microsoft is also "intently watching" the TV landscape as a potential outlet for a "Halo" series.

The next game in the franchise, "Halo Reach," hits stores on September 14. "

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=69564
Download
cosmo
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Re: Halo

Post by cosmo »

Details On The "Halo" Film Collapse

"
High profile projects fall apart all the time. Most are due to money, others to studio politics, and others to creative differences with the principals involved. In the case of the now defunct film adaptation of best-selling video game series "Halo", the real story was a mix of all of these things.

Excerpts from Jamie Russell's new book "Generation Xbox: How Video Games Invaded Hollywood" have appeared on Wired.com in which various people involved in the former Fox/Universal co-production speak up about what happened.

Creative Artists Agency's Larry Shapiro, who was handling the deal on behalf of Microsoft, says "Microsoft's unwillingness to reduce their deal killed the deal. Their unwillingness to reduce their gross in the deal meant it got too top-heavy. That movie could have been Avatar."

Neill Blomkamp, the "District 9" filmmaker attached to direct the project, agrees saying "When you have a corporation [Microsoft] that potent and that large taking a percentage of the profits, then you've got Peter Jackson taking a percentage of the profits and you start adding all of that stuff up, mixed with the fact that you have two studios sharing the profits, suddenly the return on the investment starts to decline so that it becomes not worth making. Ultimately, that's essentially what killed the film."

It wasn't just the disagreements between Microsoft and Hollywood, but between the studios involved and the creative talent.

Blomkamp says "the suits weren’t happy with the direction I was going. Thing was, though, I’d played Halo and I play videogames. I’m that generation more than they are and I know that my version of Halo would have been insanely cool. It was more fresh and potentially could have made more money than just a generic, boring film — something like G.I. Joe or some crap like that, that Hollywood produces.”

He also admits "The way Fox dealt with me was not cool. Right from the beginning… until the end when it collapsed, they treated me like shit; they were just a crappy studio. I’ll never ever work with Fox ever again because of what happened to Halo" "

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/23657/ ... m-collapse
Download
User avatar Canada
Puppy Wehtam
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Puppy Wehtam »

I feel that Microsoft thinks they deserve all the money for this stuff. They rip off game developers too and rip off their customers. Even though I use Microsoft products all the time and are contributing to their income I strongly believe the company needs to be taken down... I don't think we'll ever see a Microsoft game turned into a movie (Unless Microsoft makes it themselves) because of how much Microsoft loves to take advantage of their position to get more money than they really deserve.

I'm also glad that someone stood up for their beliefs against a studio. I for one don't care much about Halo and the story felt lame and repetitive. I don't understand why so many get a hard on for the series when it is pretty much the same as other games. I'd rather see a movie made of Dead Space, Dead Rising, Fallout, Duke Nukem, Dead Island, Half-Life, etc... There are so many better games out there that would made great movies... And even if they managed to make the damn movie I bet so many would hate it for the reasons that either it is too different from the game storyline or is too similar.
Mapper, Server Owner (Puppy's Zomdemic)
cosmo
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Post by cosmo »

i am not sure microsoft is really at fault here ( for once )
they do have a lucrative franchise to protect with the halo series, i suspect the truth is more likely to be * creative differences *
i suspect the studio wanted to redo the story to suit themselves and stamp the same old tired, boring hollywood cliches and stereotypes on the movie
Download
cosmo
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Post by cosmo »

Halo Digital Feature Project Moving Forward with Ridley Scott Producing

" A mysterious new Halo adaptation is in the works today as TheWrap reports that 343 Industries, Xbox Entertainment Studios and Scott Free Productions are moving forward with a "digital feature project" based on the hit video game property. TV director Sergio Mimica-Gezzan is attached to helm with "Prison Break" creator Paul Scheuring providing the script.

Story details are few, but the outlet reports that the main focus will be a 26th century enhanced soldier that isn't Master Chief.

Ridley Scott and David Zucker are executive producing the project, which is said to be live-action and likely similar in scope to Machinima's recent Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn webseries. It's also targeting a release before the end of 2014 and will be arriving in addition to the live-action series that Steven Spielberg is producing for Xbox One.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=116740
Download