[TuT] Host a LOTD Server

Tutorials for the UnrealEd(itor) 2.5, which apply to LOTD, UT2003 and UT2004, and other games based on the same Engine.
LaxFreak21
Bitten
Bitten
Name: John Saffer

[TuT] Host a LOTD Server

Post by LaxFreak21 »

[How-To] Host a LOTD Server

ALL DOWNLOADS ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I can tell you it is clean, but you don't have to believe me.
My apologies for being so long. :/

If you notice any spelling or grammar errors let me know, I will fix it.

All my uploads are from Mediafire, sorry for any inconvenience. Too lazy to upload to other sites. (Took me 2-3 hours to upload LOTD Game and Updated Map Files Installers).

Server Computer Specs Minimum:
(If you can't meet these requirements with the PC's Now-a-days, then buy a new one. No offense.)

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.7 Ghz / AMD Athlon XP 1700+
Memory: 512 Mb
Hard Drive: 3 Gb free (Minimum)
Video Memory: 128 Mb
Video Card: nVidia GeForce FX 5600 / ATI Radeon 9600
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
Network: Broadband Internet Connection for Online Multiplayer
DirectX: 9.0c

Things you will need:

1.) WinRAR(http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm)

2.) LOTD Game Files (This is a Torrented Version, Normal Multiplayer Maps Not included.)
Easy to use Installer
Spoiler:
Virus Scan (For those of you who need proof its clean):
Spoiler:
Need to find a site that will accept a file over 200mb.
3.) LOTDConfig_Install_V12 (This is your Server Settings/Launcher)

4.) You are gonna need map packs/texture packs which you can find on here. (I have gone through a decent amount of the Invasion Maps on here, and have started making a Multi-Part Map Pack of Maps that actually work so far for me. See Below.)

5.) This is the first part of my Map Packs for the Invasion Mod: Here (Again No scan because the file is too big.)

6.) Some Computer knowledge, and Patience.

1. Download/Installing

If you have made your LOTD Folder already or already have the game installed, then you may move on to step 2. (Keep note that I put my files into C:\Program Files\Groove Games\Land Of The Dead").

1.) I suggest making a Folder path that looks like this if you plan on installing the Updated Map Packs "C:\Program Files\Groove Games\Land Of The Dead". In the End this will make install the Map Packs so much easier to install. (Some Maps in the Map Packs don't work because you need extra files. If you even plan on downloading any maps, put them into your folder for example: "C:\Program Files\Groove Games\Land Of The Dead\Levels". As for Texture Files they go in the Texture folder you can find it in your LOTD Folder).

2.)Download all the Parts for the LOTD Game. There should be seven parts.

3.) Next you will right click part one, and hit extract here. It should then start extracting all seven parts to your current location without you having to click every single one.

4.) Once that is done, you should see this folder:

5.) Double-Click it and it will ask you where you want to install it, if you made the folder like I suggested, then install it there. If not then go ahead and install it where ever you want.

(Optional): Map Pack Download/Install

6.) Download the Map Pack that I suggested for an Invasion server or any map pack/file.

7.) Install or Extract your level files into your Levels Folder: Land of the Dead-> Levels.

8.)Now you should have the game installed and ready to go.

2. Setting up your Server

1.) Now you are ready to actually edit your server to what you want. First off if you haven't downloaded LOTDConfig_Install_V12, go ahead and download it.

2.) Next open the installer if you haven't already, and it will ask where you want to install the file. Just install it into your LOTD folder, it will place it where you need it. Reference: "C:\Program Files\Groove Games\Land Of The Dead".

3.) Once you are done with that, go ahead and go to your system folder in LOTD folder. Look for LOTDConfig.exe and go ahead and open it up.

4.) Now comes the fun part, Setting up your server. First of all, go ahead and hit file at the top, and click new file config. You will see this:

5.) Most of this is self-explanatory. But I will explain the parts that may be confusing.
  • A.) Default Gametype: Obviously what Game Mode do you want to play? There is different ones, for Invasion choose TrinInvasion, CTF and DM, use Blade's.
    B.) Http Direct: I wouldn't touch this unless you know anything about this, its basically re-directing server file downloads to another place.
    C.) Server Port: This is the Port you need to Port forward so other players can connect to you. (I will add a Port forwarding part in this).
    D.) Launch Dedicated Server: Launches the server in a CMD box, I usually don't use this.
    E.) Launch Game as Server: Launches the server through the game, so you can play while hosting the server. I do this option, but I just let the game run. (I have two computers, I host the server on my laptop and play on my Desktop, you however don't need to do this unless you want to. A Problem I have had with this is having no name while playing, not sure how to fix this yet).

6.) Next step, let's move on over to the Map Rotation Tab, and I will explain what I believe is important. (Also most of the boxes you hover over tell you exactly what it means). Basically you wanna fill the boxes out before adding maps, this will basically add the settings to each map.
  • A.) Game Mutators: I wouldn't touch these unless you know what you are doing. But basically you can change all guns in a map to a certain with some code. I am not an expert on this, you may want to look for this on forums.
    B.) Game Tabs: Different tabs to edit, again if you hover each box, it will explain what it does. I will let you explore all this for yourself.

7.) Server Packages: This tab is mainly if you have different settings/textures/etc for maps you have download, this is where you upload them or add them as a folder to be read.

8.) I will explain the 4th and 5th tab here.
  • a.) The 4th tab or Access Control tab, in my opinion, is basically people who have control of the server or it could be a whitelist. I am not too sure on this, so don't take my word for it. And you have your ban list very easy to understand, add their ip if you want to ban them, how you get their ips? I actually have no idea, my guess, try under your server log file.

b.) The 5th Tab is for BladeIN Mod, I will let you explore this since I don't use this mod.

9.) Now that that's over you are almost ready to play on your server with your friends or whoever.
3. Port Forwarding

1.) Click Start->Type "Run"->Type "CMD" in the Run Box-> This will pop up:

2.) Type "ipconfig". Look for "Default Gateway" and "IPv4" now write the 4 sets of numbers down or keep it open, you will need it. Go to your web browser, and type those 4 sets of digits. For example: "192.168.0.1" it should bring you to your router login page.

3.) Depending on your router you may have different default logins, this page will help: here. Now I will show you how to port forward, your layout may be different from mine once you log in, but it is usually pretty easy to understand. Here we go:

4.) These are the three easy steps to port forward.
  • a.) First off after you login, try to look for an advanced tab, maybe even a port forward tab, or a Virtual Server tab.
    b.) Now you should see once you are at the port forward or virtual server section, this:

c.) Go ahead and enter the "IPv4" Under IP Address, and you can put whatever for the application name. For the Port number, put 7777 or whatever port you have in your Server Settings. For Protocol put both. And make sure if you have an Inbound filter to make sure it says allow all, so your friends can connect. After you have done that, go ahead and save the settings.
5.) Congrats! You have officially Port Forwarded your server. Now you are ready to host your server and play to your hearts content.

Sorry for how long this is, I didn't expect to be so long.
If you think I missed a step or have a question, comment, concern or want to leave feedback, feel free to leave a message or a reply. :)
If you guys want me to do a video, I can probably do that too. :)

Question and Answers:

Comments:

Notes:

timmay
Infected
Infected
Name: jim karn

Re: [TuT] Host a LOTD Server

Post by timmay »

Hey Man, this is good thanks! I learned some things.

But apparently I'm missing something, because I am trying to set up my spare windows XP home edition pc as
a dedicated invasion server, but still can't seem to get through the firewall or router for some reason? (i'm guessing its one of these)

Now my server does show up in my LAN tab in game but the internet tab that shows the master list when it does show my
server only shows a ? for a while then NA.

I've tried many times to port forwad 7777 as well as 7778 (query ports) udp and tcp), 7787 (gamespy) and tcp port 28902-28909
(i saw these were needed somewhere), with same results.

I also use a d-link router and have thought maybe I should be using virtual server instead of port forword (although your screen
shots look a little different than mine).
I will mess around with it and see what happens, if not can we possible set up a time to talk (maybe setup your server and
let me join) or do you have a xfire account?

Would really appreciate any help you can give as I'm almost at my wits end on this thing and I really could use the help.

gracia's for a piece well written!

Tim "no not the tool man" may!!!!!!
LaxFreak21
Bitten
Bitten
Name: John Saffer

Post by LaxFreak21 »

This may or may not help, I have windows 7 so it may different from your OS. Also, servers won't show up because the Master server list is down, so you have to connect to ip option. To get the ip of your server, just go on your Server Computer and go to ipchicken.com or whatsmyip.com and connect to that ip from another computer. I can test your server if you want, just PM me your server ip, or post here.

1.) Go to your Control Panel, and go under Security.

2.) Look for firewall option/settings, go there.

3.) Find advance settings, not sure what it will be for you.

4.) Add a new inbound rule, and select port. You will have to do this twice, because you need to add TCP and UDP port numbers. Feel free to name it whatever and put a description if you so choose.

5.) Once you got those two rules added, try and connecting to your server or running it. I am not sure if you have an Anti-Virus or Firewall settings program, such as Avast, Kaspersky, etc. But you need to add the program to it or shutdown your Anti-Virus Programs.

If this still doesn't help, let me know.
User avatar United States of America
DeepImpact
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by DeepImpact »

* This may help you Avoid a bunch of headaches running a home server....and avoid a lot of wat the fk's.. LOL!

1: LOTDconfigEditor: Launch Dedicated Server. That not worky on Vista and Win 7. :--/
So Let's Fix that problem First....
GET the LOTD_Vista_Patch_V2 and replace the core.dll and the core.u file in the lotd system folder..
Done. Now the Launch Dedicated Server Works Great. Awesome...indeed.
This should be it here for download (V2): http://www.rising-dead.com/forums/viewt ... =18&t=1999
... If not.. let me know... yeah.. took me a bit to figure that out.. lol.. oops.. my bad.

2: Open up the ports on your router.
ports: 7777, 7778, 7787, 7788, 8777, 10777 udp (for lan.) and 4343 tcp for the new master server.
I just set all ports for both udp/tcp to avoid more headaches. lol
To See what a port an application is using.. use: cPorts - free.. 32bit & 64bit

3: This is the most important.. to avoid the wat tha fk! LOL! and this was causing me a major wtf problems indeed. LOL!
-- If you have ATT Uverse Internet.. and After opening all those ports up... you still can not connect to your online public server ip.
* Cause.. On Uverse.. You Can Not connect to your Public Online Server IP when Your PC is on The Same Home Network!
* In order to connect.. you must use the lan ip that the server pc is using. ie: 192.168.1.xxx
- But everyone else on the internet NOT on your own home network.. can use your Public ip. like.. 104.48.236.xxx
- Yeah.. that was a pain in my brain to figure that one out. LOL!

And that may as well happen on other isp's... So if your runnning an lotd server on your home network using pc2..
On your pc1... use the lan ip and not ur public ip to connect to the server. and it may just work. ;--)

I hope that info helps someone out.. I know the 3rd one woulda saved me some headaches.. hahaha!
User avatar Romania
Dragosvr92
Administrator
Administrator
Name: Dragoș-Valentin Rădulescu

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Thanks for the additions Deep. :)
A small add here.
1: The LOTDConfigEditor made by Trin works fine. Its just an exe that executes text commands.
The Launch dedicated server is just a command. The reason it dosent work is because UCC.exe and Unrealed.exe dont work because they need the core fixes. Another fix is to just turn your music volume to zero, and then both server/ucc and editor will work.
Formerly known as TheKiller