need help on a map i am creating.

Ask here for general LOTD support, missing files.
United States of America
dyetryc
LOTD Mapper
LOTD Mapper
Name: Justin

need help on a map i am creating.

Post by dyetryc »

i am currently creating a drive-in theater map for lotd. one of the things i am creating is one of those HUGE movie screens that they project onto, and i have one so far and it has animation on it.

so far it is only a couple brushes, i need to make the screen part with the animation images lit/not accept shadows/be visible in pitch black environment. i dont want to have to add a couple lights in front of it.

i have been able to make shadows/darkness not affect the area by right clicking the surface and selecting "unlit" check box, this works, until i turn it into a mesh.

another thing i'm wanting to do is create a blinking light, that blinks 2 different colors that are projected on a near by wall.... i intend to create something similar to a blinking "open" sign and would like it to either cast light or appear to cast the light at least.....with the blinking effect.

any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
User avatar Canada
Puppy Wehtam
Server Admin
Server Admin

Re: need help on a map i am creating.

Post by Puppy Wehtam »

If when you had it as a brush it worked fine then I recommend just leaving it as a brush and not bothering making it a mesh. That is probably the best way to get your result.

As for the blinking lights just copy the ones from INAngelPines.dz that are above the police car and tweak their properties to suit you what you want. Sorry if I'm not much help I never really attempted either of the things you are trying atm lol plus I just woke up and am still groggy.
Mapper, Server Owner (Puppy's Zomdemic)
User avatar Great Britain
cosmo
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Post by cosmo »

As puppy says, if it works as a brush..keep it as a brush, thats probably the easiest way

as to the coloured lighting............. hmm , multi colour may be a bit more of a problem

i have used plenty of different colours with lighting but never using a two colour bulb, im not even sure if its possible tbh.......

if you want flashing / blinking lights............... there are some on rotld / the portal maps

one way i can think of to make an open sign is to shrink the bulb size, duplicate, then use those to spell out the word.............the bulb size can change but the radius and light brightness will be the same as if for a full sized bulb.................so you might have to experiment quite a lot to reduce those to the desired effect
Download
United States of America
dyetryc
LOTD Mapper
LOTD Mapper

Post by dyetryc »

for the sign i am going to use a single brush with animated textures, it will have two colors one very bright and the other very dark, with a single blinking light property in front of it. want to match up the blinking on to the bright color and the blinking off to the dark color, if possible. was hoping to do multi color blinking lights but if not possible that is fine. i'm actually still deciding if i even want to add the sign. i may or may not give it a try.
Canada
Damocles
Zombie Killer
Zombie Killer

Post by Damocles »

Keeping the screen as brushes is better for for accepting lighting/shadows. That said, If you want your textures to show up in the dark (in a static mesh), make them into shaders. Setting textures as 'unlit' will work on a brush, but you need shaders if you want to convert them into a static mesh. Shaders can also be put into material sequences, as well as material switches.
United States of America
dyetryc
LOTD Mapper
LOTD Mapper

Post by dyetryc »

No idea how to do the shaders thing
Canada
Damocles
Zombie Killer
Zombie Killer

Post by Damocles »

Ok, once you've opened the editor and loaded up your texture pack, click 'file' then 'new' (in the texture browser). A new window will pop up. Name the package the same as your loaded texture pack, then name the shader something. Class should say 'raw material', and material class shows 'shader' as default so that's easy. Once you've named everything, click 'new'. Another screen will pop up (your unfinished shader should now be showing in your texture pack, as white of course). Find the texture you want to make a shader, click once on it, then add it to your shader menu ( by using the 'use' function) into the following fields: Diffuse, and self-illumination. Now, you can mess with the output blending if you like, but normal is fine most of the time. You can also adjust surface type if you want (glass, metal, etc). Two-sided can be set to True. After you've finished, make sure you save your texture pack the same name as what you started with (unless you're creating a brand new pack). Now you can use the shader wherever you want.