finally got started

Ask here for general LOTD support, missing files.
United States of America
Samus Aran
Dead Walker
Dead Walker
Name: Phil Benton

Re: finally got started

Post by Samus Aran »

Damocles wrote:I see that the purple ambient light issue is still a problem. I'm wondering.. did you add a zoneinfo actor? Try this: Go to the actor browser, and go to the info tab. Double click zoneinfo, and add it to the map (right click, add zoneinfo here). You will see a sprite with a small box and question mark. Right click on that, and go to Zone light. Change ambient brightness to about 80. Then change ambient hue to 200, and ambient saturation to 0. Build all. The map should be lit purple. Play level. You can change the ambient brightness and ambient hue values if you like, but I recommend not going too high with the saturation, as it dilutes the color with higher values. For experiment's sake, change the saturation to 255.. you will see what I mean. Play around with the values until you achieve the desired result.

Shaders can be made in the editor, but a shader will only change the skin of something. If you want the weapon flash, it requires (as far as I know) a *material sequence shader*. This shader switches between two textures (the gun and the yellow glow). As I said.. I've managed to figure out how to create a new one. However.. as theKiller rightly pointed out.. it remains to be seen if it will work in MP. But we will give it the old college try if you're willing. It's a bit to explain the process, so let's get your light working first. I'm in and out today so please be patient. We'll get er done.. ok? :) Let me know if you get the light working. Cya.
Damocles, that's what I was goin for! I'll experiment around with that to get the perfect purple, but that's what I was goin for! I say we go for the old College try. I got the light working for the most part, so now I can concentrate on the intricate details of the map. one more major question. is it possible to make the default sphere static mesh twice as big? I don't want any people jumping on top if it to be cheap against AI zombies
Guess who's back
Canada
Damocles
Zombie Killer
Zombie Killer

Post by Damocles »

Glad to hear you sorted it out. :) As far doubling the size of your static sphere, it's just a matter of scaling it. Right click the mesh, and go to display properties. There are 2 options: Draw scale and Draw scale 3D. If I remember correctly, there were some issues with the scaling not replicating properly in MP with movers. TheKiller might have some input on this. But since you are using a default mesh, you should be able to just change the Draw Scale value to 2 or whatever you feel is right. Build all (blah blah). There ya go.

I will explain the shader thing for sure, but I regret to say it will be later on this evening. Busy day today. But you should have it by tomorrow morning. It's not difficult to do, but it is a bit involved (at least to me anyway). Later.
United States of America
Samus Aran
Dead Walker
Dead Walker

Post by Samus Aran »

I'll live if I don't get the explanation immediately. and applying a texture to the static mesh is the same as applying a texture to anything else, correct?
Guess who's back
Canada
Damocles
Zombie Killer
Zombie Killer

Post by Damocles »

Yes.. I believe you just *add* a skin. The size of the texture may not match the mesh tho. Might look a little off.

Ok, now for the shader. Since there is no purple texture that I know of, you will need to make one. You can use Photoshop. I will send you a texture I used for the shader. The first step is to import the texture. *Important*.. make sure the texture you create is in a folder with no spaces in it, otherwise the editor won't import it. Anyway, go to *file* at the top of the texture browser and click *import*. Find the texture and double-click it. A box should appear. In *package*, delete whatever is there and type myLevel (no spaces). You can leave *group* blank, and the name of the texture itself should be in *name*. Click OK. MyLevel should appear in the texture browser, along with your texture. Build and save. This is also important because if you don't save it you will have to do it all over again.

Now we can use this texture in the material sequence shader. Go to file in the texture browser again and select *new*. The Package name should read myLevel. Give it a name (purple for example). Then click on *material class* and select *material sequence* in the drop down. Press new. In the box that appears, you will need to *add* 2 sequence items. In the action line select MSA_Fade to Material. In the material line you will need to find the wep texture you are going to use (In DOTZ Weapons.Ranged.M16 for example). Highlight the texture, go back to material sequence properties and press *use*. Then change the time to 1 or whatever you like. That takes care of the first sequence item. Repeat the process with your created texture in the material line for the second sequence item. You should be able to see a preview of your new shader in the upper left of the mat sequence properties box. It should also be in mylevel in the texture browser. Build all and save.

The last step is to add your shader to the wep. Place an M16 (or whatever gun you choose). Right-click the wep, go to *display * and *add* a skin. Highlight your created shader, go back to display and press *use*. Voila! New wep glow. Build all and save. Try the level to make sure everything is kosher. Umm.. you will need to make a new shader for each wep use in the map. Just repeat the process from the previous paragraph. Have fun. I will send the texture via PM. Cya.
User avatar Canada
Puppy Wehtam
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Puppy Wehtam »

Did you also mention that the editor only will recognize textures that are imported with dimensions of 256 by 256 or 512 by 512. If you got it saved with a dimensions of something for example like 256 by 255 the texture will not show in the editor when imported. Also that they have to be BMP format to be imported.

Just import a texture in the texture browser and then after selecting the texture and selecting ok a small window will pop up.

In here;

- Name the new package whatever you want just keep to letters and make sure there are no spaces. Example; Mine is PupTextures
- In group I recommend putting a name of a category you are using your texture for. Example; If the texture is being used for walls name the group "Walls". If it is being used for objects then make a group called "Objects" This will make it more organized and less cluttered when you are importing more textures.
- In name just put the name of your texture; Example for a wall I'd put WallA; The reason I put the A is in case I import more wall textures. So I can simply name them WallB, WallC rather than having new make an entirely new name for each one. But it is really your choice.
- Where you see compression I put DXT1 and I recommend it since I see it on the default textures. I'm not sure what it really does that just that you should put it.
- Now hit Ok. This should make your package appear with your texture in the texture browser.
- From here you simply save your package and it should now be done.

---------------------------

Hope that is helpful.
Mapper, Server Owner (Puppy's Zomdemic)
Canada
Damocles
Zombie Killer
Zombie Killer

Post by Damocles »

Excellent points puppy. Yes.. the editor will only import textures with a power of two (128x128, 256x256, 512x512). I was more concerned with the shader thing, but the import issue might have come up. Thanx for the input.
United States of America
Samus Aran
Dead Walker
Dead Walker

Post by Samus Aran »

it's official. when this map is done, I'm giving everyone credit somewhere within the map
Guess who's back
Canada
Damocles
Zombie Killer
Zombie Killer

Post by Damocles »

:D
United States of America
Samus Aran
Dead Walker
Dead Walker

Post by Samus Aran »

well, you've helped me so much already, you and TheKiller (Don't worry, Puppy. you'll be in there too)
Guess who's back
User avatar Canada
Puppy Wehtam
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Puppy Wehtam »

:> :)) :D
Mapper, Server Owner (Puppy's Zomdemic)