How to Survive 2

The place to discuss/review games you have you have played or seen.
User avatar Great Britain
cosmo
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

How to Survive 2

Post by cosmo »

" The last few years has been pretty good for the zombie game market. There are still a lot of shitty zero budget zombie shooters that flood the indie market, but those are slowing down now that zombies aren’t really “hot” anymore. While we all remember big titles like Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising, and Dead Island, people that payed attention to games without “Dead” in the title will remember some pretty cool indie titles. For example, How to Survive. The top down, dark comedy action horror game is remembered by many for its lighter take on bloody dismemberment. What the game lacked for in killer visuals it made up for in simple, intuitive, and challenging gameplay. The crafting was never too complicated, but rewarding enough to keep you hunting for the pieces you need to upgrade.

I only beat the game once, which actually puts me at the least amount of playtime among my friends. I have several friends that beat it with every character, most of them taking advantage of the game’s two player mode. I learned my lesson from this, and decided to play How to Survive 2 with my girlfriend this time. After about an hour struggling to figure out why she should be caring about this instead of her newly created World of Warcraft character, she abandoned me.

Frankly, I can’t really blame her. How to Survive 2 is a significantly different game from the original. Kovak is still his goofy self, and you still kill zombies from an isometric perspective. Other than that, it’s almost unrecognizable.

Starting How to Survive 2, you’re plopped into the middle of a forest without any explanation as to why. You hear Kovak speaking to you from a nearby loudspeaker, so you’ll interact with it to get your first mission. You’re teleported to a Diablo dungeon style map, where you kill some zombies before being teleported back. “Cool,” I thought to myself, “guess that was the tutorial. Wonder where they want me to go next.” You’ll start the next mission, and be teleported to another closed map, this time set in a city. It might soon dawn on you that this is the entire game. Gone is the island hopping, persistent open world of How to Survive. How to Survive 2 is a series of grindable, repeatable, bite sized missions................................................................ "

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/194 ... ideo-game/
Download